Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 08:32:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@nmti.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
Cc:        djr@saa-cons.co.uk, Firewalls@GreatCircle.COM, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Solaris2.5 and BSD* - Facts

> source is also interesting to have.  You can remove all the security
> related ``extras'' in the kernel (IP forwarding, IP source routing,
> log connection attempts, ...) if you've got the source.

Starting with sys/netinet/ip_input.c:866

	if (forward) {
		ip_forward(m, 1);
		return (1);
	}

We've got a BSDI box here as well, and the same code uses a different
approach to turn off these options. It took me a while to assure myself
that the code was really doing the same thing in both cases. In the course
of which I found myself sitting up in bed with my 10 year old son going
over the code explaining IP option handling. Nothing like a code review
to help you clarify your understanding of a program, and he seemed to be
following the code better than some professional programmers I've worked
with.