Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 16:45:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Peter Brezny <peter@skyrunner.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: transmit underflow.

On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Peter Brezny wrote:

> Thanks a lot Tom.
>
> I didn't know you could implement vland on a single card.
>
> I suspect that the amount I am carying on this router could be run through
> two quality 100megabit cards.

  I imagine that would also reduce PCI bus contention.

> When you say multiple vlans on a single interface, do you just mean adding
> aliases to the cards ifconfig to handle multiple subnets?  If that's the
> case, I'm already doing so.

  No, VLAN trunking.  Run a VLAN trunk into a trunk port on a switch, and
break out your VLANs into ports as needed.  You need to have a decent
switch for this though.  A Catalyst 2924XL would do nicely.

> We're a wireless isp, and I've been trying to reduce the number of arp
> broadcasts that go down a physical wireless segment to keep the radio's
> happy (hence the large number of physically separate ports.

  So does each physical port go to separate wireless bridge/AP?  Sounds
ideal for VLAN trunking.

> What's the preference for multiport cards out there now?

  I'm not sure.  It sounds like many have abandoned such things for GigE
cards and trunking.

Tom