Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 23:45:18 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        Nils Holland <nils@daemon.tisys.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The road ahead?

"Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." wrote:
> >The innovators are not the profiteers.  The guy (gal?) who brings about
> >the next revolution will be an unknown, sweating away feverishly on some
> >post-doctoral work or some development.... Who was Ray Tomlinson
> >prior to 1971? And, how many of us know about him now?
>
> Of interest?
> http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/20/technology/20NANO.html?todaysheadlines

IBM Almaden expects to make money off this.  Their time window is
10 years.

Moore's law theoretically gets us to 3 atoms per gate in 2017.  8-).

I rather expect we will get there no matter what, probably much
sooner than anyone else thinks.

Steve Jurvetson (of Draper Fisher Jurvetson) gave a nice talk
at the Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders Seminar at Stanford for
the Management Science and Engineering 472 class.  It's on DFJ's
current funding for Molecular Nanotechnology startups.

You can actually access an archive of the talk at:

http://stanford-online.stanford.edu/courses/msande472/020508-msande472-100.asx

-- Terry