Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 02:29:32 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        pedrosal@nce.ufrj.br (Pedro Salenbauch)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, bugs@FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Changing root and PANIC!

[Please, just ONE group in the future - we don't need 3 copies of the
same message!]

> I tried several times to install BSD 2.0.5, but always had the
> same problem: I am using the fourth "slice" of my SCSI hard
> disk, "sd0s4" for BSD, but when I boot it, comes the message
> "changing root device to sd2a" and PANIC!

Yow!  Why is it trying to boot from your CDROM, I wonder?  It should
be trying to change the root device to sd0a, not sd2a!

Are you doing anything especially creative in the installation?  I
really don't see how this could happen unless you're typing something
weird at the boot prompt.

					Jordan