Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 1996 01:18:59 +0100
From:      se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers), se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
Subject:   Re: Racal Interlan ethernet card: any good?

On Dec 1, j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch) wrote:
> As Stefan Esser wrote:
> > You need a config line for "lnc0 at isa?", and the PCI card
> > will then be "lnc1" (the later ISA probe could still find an
> > ISA card at the port address specified).
>
> Does the line
>
> device lnc0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 10 drq 0 vector lncintr
>
> in GENERIC count for this?  If so, i'll leave for a business trip
> tomorrow, and i know that this customer is also using HP Vectras which
> come with a builtin Lance-derived PCI ethernet adaptor.  While i know
> that an older version of FreeBSD runs on them fine using the PCI
> addresses in the ISA driver (you certainly remember, Stefan), i can
> also stick a plain installation floppy there and see whether it will
> detect the card.

It will work under -current and all 2.2 SNAPs (I added the
code in May), but you have to specify the attach address to
the ISA probe under -stable (and all 2.1 releases including
2.1.6.1).

There was an interface change, that never made it into 2.1,
and I did not bother to work around the old code not dealing
with non-(E)ISA devices. (There is a unit number used as a
parameter, and PCI devices don't have one assigned as far as
the driver is concerned. There is no limiting array of units
under PCI, but if I had introduced one for the ED and LNC
drivers, I could have made the PCI code detect them ...)

Regards, STefan devices. (There is a unit number used as a