Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 19:34:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bradley Dunn <bradley@dunn.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   NQNFS and performance issues

Hi,

LINT has the following warning about NQNFS:

# Note: 4.4BSD NQNFS lease checking has relatively high cost for
# _local_ I/O as well as remote I/O. Don't use it unless you will
# using NQNFS.

Does anyone have an idea of the performance hit NQNFS has? Is it worth the
drop in performance to get the extra coherency? Also, to what extent does
the use of NQNFS help overcome the lack of support for file locking over
NFS?

Thanks,

pbd
--
Going to church does not make a person religious, nor does going to
school make a person educated, any more than going to a garage makes a