Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 19:56:17 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        nik@freebsd.org
Cc:        jhb@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Doc Build broken *sigh*

From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 23:40:53 +0000

> Docs are available as packages in as much as you can do
>
>    pkg_add -r ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/packages/mumble

Ah.  Well, I think as a stop-gap measure the best we're going to
manage is to somehow get these things into the INDEX and put them into
a Doc category.  I agree that material and ${LANG}uage should be
broken out into subcategories but until such time, I think
"en-Handbook" and "jp-FAQ" will have to be acceptable substitutes.
This would, again, require no changes to sysinstall and given the
degree of pain and inertia involved with changing that, I think that's
an important part of the selection criteria.

> I don't have the headspace at the moment for this sort of UI problem.

Neither do I.  Neither does anyone else I could point to.  That's what
precludes this as "the way forward" - it's only a good way of staying
in place. :)

> Would libh, with it's UI primitives, make any of this easier?  I also

I'm afraid not, at least not in the short-to-medium term.  There are a
host of issues regarding even using libh on the installation floppies
and we're a ways off from making it even work for installs, much less
doc selection.

- Jordan