Date:      Thu, 9 May 1996 21:21:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Patrick Ferguson <patrick@chloe.dmv.com>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-isp <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SNMP ?

On Fri, 10 May 1996, Gary Palmer wrote:

> Patrick Ferguson wrote in message ID
> <XFMail.960509202457.patrick@chloe.dmv.com>:
> >
> > Has anyone found an X client for snmp, like netguard?  I've also seen the isode
> > package for BSDI, and was curious if there is one for FreeBSD.
> > Thanks for any info.
>
> You can try tkined (and `scotty', it's back end). It has SNMP
> monitoring/ querying facilities.
>
> Gary
> --
> Gary Palmer                                            FreeBSD Core Team Member
> FreeBSD - Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info.

Cool.  I found xnetdb and compiled it.  Runs okay, and I use it to
monitor the up/down status of the interfaces of different hosts.

I've got 11 Xylogics Annexs, and I was interested in using their Annex
Manager Software.  Big problem - they only release the binaries for AIX,
Sun, and SCO.  I talked to them, hoping (beyond hope) that they would
cut a deal and I'd give them an account just to compile it under FreeBSD,
BSDI, and Irix.

They told me they felt they weren't going to just release the source, and
since they covered 80% of the commercial market, oh well.
I feel it's because they have limited computers to compile it on.
I even had to explain to them just why I wanted to compile it for FreeBSD
and why I didn't own a Sun or an IBM.
I haven't heard back from them yet....

Anyways, I'll install tkined and take a look at how it is different from
xnetdb.
Patrick Ferguson - Systems Administrator                      patrick@dmv.com
DelMarVa OnLine! - Salisbury, MD