Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 02:40:43 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hasty@netcom.com (Amancio Hasty Jr)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intercept :)

> Well, the linux people have a long thread on comp.sys.intel advocating linux:
> What Linux needs to gain popularity?
> Dream OS = Linux
>
> Would be nice if a few freebsd folks jump in there and change the subject hea
ding
> of the threads to include also FreeBSD.

Can we CUT IT OUT with the petty Linux bashing in this group, PLEASE?

Not only is the signal-to-noise ratio in -hackers gone to hell lately
because of it, but I'm just genuinely tired of this general sentiment
that in order to make FreeBSD more popular we somehow need to do so at
the expense of Linux.  There may be real merit to the point that going
head-to-head with Linux would gain us some users, but I for one do not
care to gain users that way.  The end does not always justify the
means!

If people want to jump into comp.sys.intel and make legitimate points
about FreeBSD as entirely separate threads then that's fine, but let's
stop with the endless comparisons and backbiting, OK?

On another point, I think that -hackers has become a cesspool again
and unless people are willing to stop with all the -advocacy here then
we're going to be forced to split into two groups.  In either case,
advocacy does NOT belong on -hackers!  Please curb your enthusiasms or
redirect to -chat where technical meat is not a required component of
any discussion.  I will even cease to drop my occasionally amusing
one-liners in here since the problem has reached crisis proportions in
-hackers and everybody from myself on down is going to need to work at
bringing it back to an acceptable level.

Thank you!

					Jordan