Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2007 11:40:43 +0400
From:      Yuri Pankov <yuri@darklight.org.ru>
To:        Mikhail Goriachev <mikhailg@webanoide.org>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Nejc =?utf-8?Q?=C5?= koberne <nejc@skoberne.net>
Subject:   Re: BIND to listen on all interfaces?

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 03:14:28PM +1000, Mikhail Goriachev wrote:
> Nejc =C5=A0koberne wrote:
> > Hello,
> >=20
> > I am running BIND (from base system) on my FreeBSD 5.3 machine. The box=
 is
> > connected to outer world via ADSL connection (tun0 device). If the name=
d is
> > started when the machine is connected to the internet, then everything =
is OK,
> > I get this by saying netstat -n -a:
> >=20
> > udp4       0      0  X.X.X.X.53             *.*
> > udp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.53           *.*
> > udp4       0      0  10.0.1.3.53            *.*
> >=20
> > but at boot time, the named starts before the PPP connection is started=
, so
> > the tun0 interface is not up yet. So that's why I get this:
> >=20
> > udp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.53           *.*
> > udp4       0      0  10.0.1.3.53            *.*
> >=20
> > In BIND manual, it says:
> >=20
> > "If no listen-on is specified, the server will listen on port 53 on all=
 interfaces."
> >=20
> > I also tried to specify the ADSL IP address in named.conf (it is static=
), but it is
> > still a no go. I don't have such problems with other daemons! Any ideas?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> An idea: Assuming you're using ppp, let it restart named after it
> connects to the Internet. Have a /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup and put the
> following or similar into it:
>=20
> adsl:
>         ! /etc/rc.d/named restart
>=20
>=20
> Read the ppp man pages for further details.
>=20
>=20
> Regards,
> Mikhail.
>=20
> --=20
> Mikhail Goriachev
> Webanoide
>=20
> Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
> Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
> E-Mail: mikhailg@webanoide.org
> Web: www.webanoide.org

Another option can be the use of interface-interval:

interface-interval

    The server will scan the network interface list every
    interface-interval minutes. The default is 60 minutes. The maximum
    value is 28 days (40320 minutes). If set to 0, interface scanning
    will only occur when the configuration file is loaded. After the
    scan, the server will begin listening for queries on any newly
    discovered interfaces (provided they are allowed by the listen-on
    configuration), and will stop listening on interfaces that have gone
    away.=20

(from BIND ARM).

HTH,
Yuri