Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 18:47:34 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1-STABLE: nrsa0 T4000 doesn't honor "no rewind"? SCSI errs in logs

Matthew Jacob writes:

> Taking the point of view of an application writer (I worked at Legato- the
> mmd code I worked on supported 30 different platforms- a large fraction of
> which *weren't* Unix) I'd also probably pick #1- because I would be
> writing an application that doesn't want the tape driver to get in the way
> and *I'll* manage data integrity. But in general, Unix user applications
> that do backups don't manage data integrity, or manage it poorly. So, I'm
> a little unsure as to the right choice- that's why I asked for opinions,
> and I hope to see more of them than yours, Tom. But thanks for it all the
> same- it was quite informative.

Lets do the right thing. If the applications such as dump, tar, pax, and
tcopy are broken, then lets fix them.

No point in fixing dd. While *I* often write tapes with dd, when I do I
want it to blow up and fail on error. Then maybe I'll try it again on
the same tape, or throw the tape away and use a new one. Then again, I'm
not filling one tape and desiring to continue on another.

Hmm. That reminds me that I haven't send-pr'ed some patches for tcopy
teaching it how to know the difference between a file and a device, and
to use that information to "rewind" a file (for "tcopy -c").