Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:09:44 +0100
From:      Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/74696: net/xnap: Remove crosslisting in java category

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 02:30:53AM -0600, Mark Linimon wrote:
> Well, I'm not terribly enthusiastic about mass repocopies, but in
> theory I'd rather see what you suggest - e.g. a java XML processor listed
> as 'textproc java', or as a second choice 'java textproc', which would
> avoid the need for the repocopy.  But certainly it should not be just
> listed as 'java'.
>
> > I was once tempted to request a major set of repocopies to reflect this,
> > but then I realized that only JDKs would stay in the 'java'
> > subdirectory. But then, shouldn't JDKs reside in 'lang', as it is the
> > case for any other language compilers and runtimes?
>
> Philosophically: possibly yes.  But I don't feel strongly enough about
> the matter to advocate for the ~135 repocopies all this would require :-)
> (nb: 68 of the 135 ports in java/ are already listed in multiple
> categories).

I agree. So for now what I suggest is that we, as commiters, do not
commit any new port in the java/ subdirectory when 'java' is not the
only category. In fact, we could state that 'java' should be the main
category if and only if it is the only category of a port.

In the same time, we start to tag existing ports in java/ to enforce the
above rule, by adding a relevant category (or several) to each port that
would need it.

Then, each time a repocopy is needed for a port in java/ (e.g. due to
some project name change), then we consider if there would be a better
place (that is a better subdirectory) for the port, according to its
CATEGORIES. If this is the case, we take the opportunity to change its
subdirectory. That's what I did with Log4J, moving it from
java/jakarta-log4j to devel/log4j.

No mass repocopy as we all agree that this would be overwhelming for
such an issue, but rather we give directions to have a better organized
ports tree in the long term. One commit at a time.

Needless to say, should such approach be decided, I am volunteering to
tag the ports in java/ and add missing categories -- but I am opened to
contributions :-)

Herve