Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2012 17:35:16 +0100
From:      Nikola =?utf-8?B?UGF2bG92acSH?= <nzp@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using sendmail as a client with auth

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 03:28:45PM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 13/02/2012 15:08, Bernt Hansson wrote:
> > Is this is OT then i'm sorry.
> >
> > Trying to get sendmail act as a mua, following this tutorial
> >
> > http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html
> >
> > Scroll down a bit to Using send....
> >
> > Is it really necessary to install cycrus-sasl2?
> >
> > How do one make sendmail to pick sasl2 up when building sendmail.
> > Is there a make.conf line I must add? When telnetting auth works
> > but using telnet to send mail has a very low WAF.
> >
> > I've installed cyrus-sasl2 but then what.
>
> Yes -- you do need cyrus-sasl2 for this purpose.
>
> To build sendmail with SASL, either use the ports version in
> mail/sendmail, where you can select SASL as one of the options,
> or add:
>
>        SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -DSASL=2
>        SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
>        SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl2
>
> to /etc/make.conf -- see /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf for more
> details.  This will give you a SASL-enabled base system sendmail once
> you rebuild it.
>
> Note that the second choice makes your base system dependent on stuff
> external to it, which may or may not be desirable.
>
> Oh, and before anyone else chimes in with a knee-jerk reaction about
> using sendmail: there are other MTAs that can provide this
> functionality.  As an alternative, either postfix or exim could do what
> you want too.  Sendmail works just fine for me though.

If I understood Bernt correctly, he wants to use it to relay mail to
some remote MTA (ISP's or similar).  There are lightweight MTAs just
for this purpose, I use mail/msmtp and it works great with multiple
accounts.  Usually, this is much simpler to set up than using
a real MTA like Sendmail or Postfix.

Not that I have anything against using Sendmail and friends for this
purpose.  Just my $0.02. ;)

--
news: gotcha