Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 18:14:58 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@w3page.com>
Cc:        ISP@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Whats this??

Blaine Minazzi wrote:

> Thanks...   I currently have 8.8.8, with the anti relaying patches also
> the RBL stuff, with POP Before Sendmail so my customers can relay, but
> no one else...  I also maintain a list of annoying IP addresses that I
> deny mail access to.
>
> But, last night I have recieved over 700 of these connections, and was
> concerned that there might be some form of attack going on, Since I
> found the system loaded down with sendmail processes, with lots of open
> connections.

You should be able to control this with your sendmail.cf - theres settings
so you can set a load average to only queue above, and another to deny
connections all together - as well as others for the max. number of children
allowed at any one time etc. - What are these set to at the moment? - They
might need decreasing...

> I thought perhaps there might be some new hole that someone is using to
> do a D.O.S. attack, or, a new way to get around my anti-spam, anti-relay
> patches.

There still could be... If it gets bad - and your machine has bpf (packet
filter compiled into the kernel) try grabbing some of the data to disk
(tcpdump -w etc. - see the man pages) - you can then look through them (be
careful not to run out of disk space though! <G>)

Regards,

Karl