Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 18:52:12 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Brian Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building world...

Brian Handy wrote:

> I always wonder what I'm doing wrong.  It's rare I can get a buildworld to
> ever go through cleanly, but I don't hear anyone else complaining, so I'm
> not sure what's up.
>
> Anyway, any ideas what this means?

	It's hard to tell since you didn't say what version you're running. If
you're running -current, please follow up to freebsd-current. If
-stable, freebsd-stable.

> building shared c library (version 3.1)
> nm: bt_debug.so: no name list
> nm: euc.so: no name list
> nm: mskanji.so: no name list
> nm: utf2.so: no name list

	I see these kinds of warnings all the time on -stable.

> nm: putw.so: not object file or archive
> nm: refill.so: not object file or archive
> nm: remove.so: not object file or archive
> nm: rewind.so: not object file or archive
> nm: rget.so: not object file or archive
> nm: scanf.so: not object file or archive
> nm: snprintf.so: not object file or archive
> ld: snprintf.so: malformed input file (not rel or archive)
> *** Error code 1

	Those luck bad. :)  They also look like classic dirty /usr/src or
/usr/obj directory errors. Have you tried totally deleting /usr/obj/*
and /usr/src/* and downloading fresh source?  I have a step-by-step
procedure for this on my make world page,
http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/upgrade.html. I also just updated it
today so it's a good time to give it a look. :)

Hope this helps,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest