Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:30:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, khera@kciLink.com
Subject:   Re: nuking "unsafe" protocols (was Re: Upcoming rc.conf changes not loading certain currently loaded daemons)

>From: Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
>Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:21:34 -0400 (EDT)

>AB> Have you considered amanda for your backups? It is in the ports.

>Does it avoid using rcmd/rsh?

Yes; it uses its own protocol.  (It can use .rhosts for
"authentication", but current versions default to using a separate file,
.amandahosts for that.  It also uses its own UDP & TCP ports.)

>I looked at it a long time ago, but my manual scheme worked well
>enough for the small handful of hosts I need to backup.

There may be other reasons to prefer such a scheme; for example, amanda
does not append one day's run to another's; this is a design decision
based on the concern that an inopportune event could cause what amanda
thinks is an "append" to actually become an "overwrite"... thus
destroying the integrity of some (or all) of the backups images on the
tape in question.  There are some folks working on approaches for
permitting such appending, but like FreeBSD, it's a volunteer project,
and the usual concerns regarding expectations of results are in order.

Cheers,
david (who uses amanda at work, and a home-grown script at home)
--
David Wolfskill      dhw@whistle.com   UNIX System Administrator
Desk: 650/577-7158   TIE: 8/499-7158   Cell: 650/759-0823