Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 19:09:43 +0000
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stable as bad with Adaptec as NCR

"Marc G. Fournier" wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.91.960329093949.568B-100000@ki.net>:
> 	Anyone care to make suggestions on maybe options I should turn on
> in the kernel?  This morning, less then 24hrs since last reboot, the system
> froze with a SCSI bus hang...again :( (hard drive LED on bright red)

> (aha0:0:0): "CONNER CFP1060S 1.05GB 243F" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> sd0(aha0:0:0): Direct-Access 1013MB (2074880 512 byte sectors)

I would be EXTREMELY suspicious of this drive. From my machine:

(ahc0:0:0): "CONNER CFP1060S 1.05GB 1823" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd0(ahc0:0:0): Direct-Access 1013MB (2074880 512 byte sectors)

This drive (or rather, certain versions of it) are EXTREMELY unstable
when used with non-DOS based environments. I believe it has something
to do with FreeBSD requesting larger data transfers than DOS, and the
microcode on the drive being screwed up, and not always handling it
properly.

I'll see if I can dig out a message I got a while ago which tells you
what to look for on your drive to see if it's defective. Conner should
fix the drive for free, although when I phoned their UK office, they
said that it could take a month to get the drive back to me. Since I
only have one h/d on my main machine, that's not an option :( So every
so often, my machine goes south TOTALLY. Your symptoms are similar
(hard drive LED locked on, SCSI bus frozen) to what I had when I had a
1542CF in my system. I modified the AHA driver to call panic() if it
timed out twice in a row. You may want this patch - I'll send it to
you if you want.

Gary