Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 14:48:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        kelleyry@bc.edu, razor@ldc.ro, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: xinetd versus inetd

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> > I used to run tcpserver, but soon realized that xinetd could perform all
> > the same important functions, and was much easier to configure.
> >
> > I don't think any modern inetd is as susceptible to resource exhaustion
> > attacks as the tcpserver page will lead you to believe, but running xinetd
> > does seem wise, as you can tune the various resource limits quite exactly.
>
> But do you trust xinetd? Seems it's time to repost the following News
> article from Marcus Ranum, dating back to 1993. Still relevant, I think.
>
> Note: I have no personal experience with xinetd.

I trust it, but I don't have any solid reason to.  I have the idea in my
head that it's hard to introduce a security bug in a program which does
only what xinetd does, but strange things have happened.  Looking at the
inetd manpage now, it appears that per-service rate limting and such are
now available on the freebsd inetd.  I'll look into switching when I get
some time.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack