Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 20:49:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        flaq@synwork.com (Mike)
Cc:        gism@isot.isot.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Long Delay during Boot

> > I'm getting very long delay on <multibyte.com> (several minutes each line)
> > during boot while displaying the following lines:
> > ep0:flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500
> >         inet 206.24.68.15 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 206.24.68.255
> >         ether 00:a0:24:12:c2:3c
> > lo0:.........
> > add net default: gateway isot.isot.com
> >
> > After finish booting, I can ping anyone, but also delays long time before
> > the first ping.
> >
> > Also, nslookup does not work beyond the local network.
> >
> > Any ideas I could try?
>
> What do you have in /etc/resolv.conf? You may want to add any hosts
> refered to in /etc/sysconfig to /etc/hosts to speed up any delays during
> the boot process.

That will not help; you have to twiddle /etc/host.conf to search host
file first.

This is standard on all my boxes because if I choose to wire in an address,
there must be a darn good reason :-)

I have seen "long delays" when the nameserver is not on the same subnet and
therefore any name lookups before the default route is added get messy.

... JG