Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:33:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
To:        Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: installworld fails

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Daniela wrote:

> I did the following:
>
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
>
> < reboot into single user mode >
>
> mergemaster -p
> make installworld
>

> just as /usr/src/UPDATING says, and then it failed.
> What could be wrong? Have I made a mistake?

Hi Daniela - what version of FreeBSD are you using at the moment?  And
what are you upgraging to - that is, what is the CVS tag for the
stable-supfile, should be something like RELENG_4 or RELENG_4_7

I normally do mergemaster at the end, although I understand the big mail
system changes after 4.5-RELEASE mean you do mergemaster -p _before_
buildworld as far as I know.

When I was new(er) to FreeBSD I found the changes after 4.5 so confusing
that I never bother to upgrade pre-4.6 machines to -STABLE, just left them
upgraded to RELENG_4_5 for security updates.

Regards,
Bill.

--
William Palfreman		I'm looking for a job:
Tel: +44 (0)771 355-0354	http://www.palfreman.com/william/ for my CV