Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 20:00:26 +0000
From:      Keith Jones <keithj@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        Jon Paterson <jpaterson@itchannel.net>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: keeping stable without cvs type tools.

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 11:04:44AM -0000, Jon Paterson wrote:
> I was wondering if there was a way to keep up to date without using CVS or
> one of the other tools.  CVSSUP is fine at work for the servers here but
> could be v painful down a 56K modem ;-)

After the initial cvsup it's not that bad, usually takes about fifteen
minutes though I tend to upgrade only once every couple of months or so
(full sources and ports).

Also, if you're with BT, get Surftime and an ISP that has an 08044 number (I
think), if you use the net any more than very occasionally. I don't know
what your options are if you have cable, though I'm pretty sure Telewest (as
an example) has a similar package.

> I can burn data onto CD's at work and take them home, what would I need to
> download?  I know that there is data available on the ftp servers, but I am
> not sure what is required here..

You can download an ISO image from a number of the FTP servers, or download
everything under /pub/FreeBSD/releases/x.x-RELEASE (where x.x is your desired
version). NFS-mounting src.doc.ic.ac.uk:/pub is handy for this.

Keith

--
Keith Jones
E-Business Service Introduction, GBIT-E (Bristol)

I don't speak for Hewlett-Packard.