Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 19:01:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Keith Woodworth <kwoody@citytel.net>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDI -> Freebsd

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Shawn Ramsey wrote:

>>Well.. Im sure someone else can answer more definetefly(murdered that one),
>>but at least a couple years ago, /etc/master.passwd and /etc/passwd were
>>completely interchangable between BSD/OS and FreeBSD. They both needed the
>>same password scheme, which in the case of BSD/OS was DES. I would imagine
>>that it is still the same today, but you never know. Same goes for the
>>/etc/group file, and /etc/shells is just a list of shells in FreeBSD, so
>>that wouldn't be an issue even if they were different...

Ive been using FBSD since 2.0 something and BSD/OS for just over two
years so I feel I'm versed enough in both for the move of services. I once
copied over a program I had compiled on a FBSD box to a BSD/OS machine and
it worked ok.

Probably a fluke but I used it as a test to see how close the two really
were. So by the sounds of things the transition of moving users and stuff
over should be fairly painless.

Thanks
Keith