Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:06:01 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Also interested in testing

> The OS X loader mod is an interesting possibility; they already
> have some sort of support for their own funky mod of UFS. (Don't
> try to run OS X on UFS -- it is really flakey)  I saw some work
> being done over in the OpenBSD camp to support that version of
> UFS and it looked to me as though the addressing was
> non-standard.  Maybe standard UFS support wouldn't be that hard
> to add, but I'd hate to have to rely on their code to boot
> FreeBSD.

 NetBSD now has the mods to support OSX's variant of UFS. I don't know
how difficult that would be to port to FreeBSD's UFS.

> Has anyone taken a look at "ofwboot" from Net/OpenBSD?  (At
> first glance it appears both are using the same code...)

 FreeBSD/ppc's loader has the same function as ofwboot, and
that's where some of the code was derived from.

> Also, is there any support for the airport wireless yet?

 Not yet, although it would be trivial to port NetBSD's if_wi_obio.c.
Damn, I might even give it a try this afternoon :-)

> When I was reading through support for the platform offered by the other
> BSDs, I believe I saw that the modem is attached internally to
> the USB bus; any chance that since 5.0 supports USB modems it
> is just recognized as one of those?  OpenBSD (I think it was)
> could see the modem but had no driver for it.

 On the old iBook, it's connected directly through the macio chip. I'm not
too sure about recent models.

later,

Peter.