Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 17:46:08 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Rob Simons <rob@xs1.simplex.nl>
To:        root@edmweb.com
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Logging pppd connect & disconnect

| > > Is there any way to log when users connect and disconnect with pppd?
| >
| > Sure, it's a piece of cake.  How do your users startup PPP?  On my box
| > they run a little shell script which is customized for each system, so
| > it would be trivial to have it append start/stop entries to a file.
|
| Um, I'm not set up like that... The users don't log in like you'd expect,
| they don't even get a login prompt. They go straight into pppd. All
| authentication is done with PAP.

Funny setup, but it limits the possibilities for dialup lines a bit ..

Anyways, can't you use /etc/ppp/ip-up  and /etc/ppp/ip-down for it ?

#!/bin/sh
#
# interface tty speed localip remoteip

echo `date`: machine $5 on tty $2 >> /etc/ppp/ppp-log

Or whatever.   I suppose that this is quite useless when you're using
dynamic ip assignment, and want the 'user' name from the pap-secrets
file.
Maybe it's easier to hack in the 'user' name as an argument to ip-up
than completely hack in a log function in pppd ..

- Rob.

/*   Rob Simons                      |  rob@simplex.nl          *\
/*   Novell Netware System Operator  |  UNIX system operator    *\