Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:21:41 +0000
From:      Damian Hamill <damian@cablenet.net>
To:        Leonard Chua <lenc@earth.infinetconsulting.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 56K vs X2?

Leonard Chua wrote:

> Seeing as how everyone wants to connect at faster and faster speeds (for
> less and less money, ;{, It would very probably be a good idea to buy
> equipment that's upgradeable. So far as I know, there's (or will be) two
> version of 56K technology. Here's a blurp from a Livingston salesperson:
>
> "We have announced an agreement with Lucent Technology on the 56k
> modem technology.  A copy of the press release is available on our Web
> page.  Lucent and Rockwell will be compatible.  Between the two of them,
> they own 75-80% of the modem market.  Thus, we will be compatible with
> 75-80% of the modems out there.  USR does not appear to have any plans to be
> compatible with other 56k technologies, so their 56k will only work with
> the other 20-25% of themodems which are also USR. ....."
>
> Anybody care to comment on the percentages?
> I was also wondering if perhaps USR may be sheer power of brand-name
> identity and loyalty, end up over the long run as the winner?

I've posted a message to my users saying that if they buy a USR 56K
modem then they won't be able to use it with our service because we
won't be buying USR kit.  If every ISP did the same USR would realise
pretty sharpish that they can't jerk off like this.

regards
damian

--
Wanted - new or slightly used interesting and witty sig.  Must be in
reasonable condition with not too much wear.