Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 06:57:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Diana Eichert <deichert@wrench.com>
To:        Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any experience with T3/HSSI cards and FreeBSD?

try this address at lanmedia:	Dave DePuy <dave@lanmedia.com>

that's who we interacted with when we co-ordinated driver integration
into OpenBSD.  I didn't do the driver integration, another person took
the NetBSD driver and ported it to OpenBSD.  They got a free T1 card for
their efforts, don't know what the status of the T3 driver is.  Currently
the driver only supports point to point, no support for frame.  The
person who integrated the driver made some comment re: integrating sppp
support into OpenBSD in order to support frame.  Since FreeBSD has sppp
already should make it easier.

Once again, i was only the facilitator who got the vendor and developer
talking.  I am definitely NOT a kernel hacker.

diana

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Len Conrad wrote:

> >Do you know anything about the lanmedia cards?
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> No, I just learned about LMC in this surprisingly long thread, but am still
> waiting for somebody at LMC to respond to my email to their "sales@"
> box.  Their website design suggests that they may not look at it very often
> or care much about it :-)) and maybe don't check its mailboxes !
>
> Betting your ISP on infrastructure products like an T3/E3 card really makes
> you want to get comfortable with the product and the company.  I get the
> feeling the LMC and ET are fairly small techy shops but have been around
> for a while while SDL Comm feels bigger, (fwiw, probably not much). Sangoma
> seems fairly popular with the Linux LRP crowd but they don't have any cards
> above E1.
>
> So in the "any experience" area, we have one vote for and one vote against
> ET HSSI card (and a coupla votes on Dennis).  I have two of Dennis' old ISA
> cards, found a serious bug in the initialisation of the driver and IRQ
> connection (always, always, always run immediately some performance tests
> as in-the-ballpark sanity checks!!), and haven't had much chance to really
> lean on them, yet.  (ET's new PCI 4-port card looks good for driving
> dedicated WAN lines to client sites.)
>
> So, we've got no votes on LMC or SDL Comm.
>
> Regards,
> Len

Diana Eichert
deichert@wrench.com