Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:06:09 -0900
From:      Brian Raynes <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>
To:        Steffen Vorrix <steffen@vorrix.com>, freebsd newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Books

Steffen Vorrix wrote:
>Can someone tell me about good freebsd books to buy.  I have been to the web site and read the >freebsd handbook there.  That seems to be a very good source of information, but I find that I can >read material easier if I have the information bound in front of me.

I found it so important that I printed out the pdf version of the
handbook, or at least the first 450 or so pages of it.  I had access
to a duplexing printer though.

>I have seen The Complete FreeBSD and The FreeBSD Handbook, as well as The FreeBSD Corporate >Networker's Guide.  Does anyone own these, and are they any good?  The reviews of the first two books >tend be good, although both also tend to suggest the books are dated.

I own The Complete FreeBSD, it's pretty good still, but it does
reference mainly 3.x branch.  For most configuration things, the
handbook fills in the gaps where changes have been made, at least
that's my experience so far.  My only problem has been finding
explanations of how to do very specific things that fit my situation,
but must not be especially common among others.  I imagine that if I
asked a few specific questions on the -questions list I could make it
work, but I seem to get time to work on this stuff infrequently at
home and do not wish to waste other's time until I've really tried the
things that seem to make sense.

Really the handbook together with The Complete FreeBSD have been very
good for getting installed, configured and on the road to discovery.
It will only take a little reading to find the important changes for
configuring 4.x branch and the changes I've seen so far, the tun
device comes to mind,  actually make it easier and or better.

Good luck!