Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:57:43 -0800
From:      Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>
To:        Jim King <jim@jimking.net>
Cc:        Ed Henderson <Ed.Henderson@Certainty.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, "'Bob Martin'" <bob@inu.net>
Subject:   Re: Good server motherboard?

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 06:04:09PM -0600, Jim King wrote:
> "Ed Henderson" <Ed.Henderson@Certainty.net> wrote:
> >I plan to use AMD Athlon chips, tower case, IDE drives/peripherals,
> >at least 256MB RAM.  Budget is limited since we are just beginning:
> >approx. $1300 per server (not including tape drive which is seperate
> >see #3 below).  Servers will host typical ISP apps: DNS, RADIUS,
> >mail, Apache, etc.
>
> When I looked a couple months ago none of the Athlon motherboards supported
> ECC memory.  Considering the amount of potential grief you'll avoid by using
> ECC memory I'd say that Athlon shouldn't be considered. :-(
>
> Jim

Perhaps that was true then, certainly not now. Besides, I have never seen a
problem caused by using non-ECC memory. Thats not to say that ECC memory
shouldn't be used, but from what I have seen it is an unneccesary expense.
Though I do believe the most RAM you can currently get on an Athlon MB is
2GB, so if you need more than that your out of luck.