Date:      Sat, 03 Feb 2007 12:15:49 +0100
From:      Dan Lukes <dan@obluda.cz>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for 5.x (Was: Re: What about BIND 9.3.4 in FreeBSD in base system ?)

Doug Barton napsal/wrote, On 02/03/07 01:51:
> This is where that whole "volunteer project" thing comes in again. With
> a finite set of resources,
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	True, but I'm not sure the resources needs to be limited as much as is.
As a active member of national list of FreeBSD user I several times
answered the question '{I founded an uncritical bug}|{I developped a
improvement } should I send it ?'. The best answer I know is - "yes, you
can send PR, but don't wait a response. Response for non-critical bugs
often takes several years, improvements remains unanswered forever
mostly. In the fact, the probability you will waste your time trying to
help to project is high - it have no resource to process your help."

	Note, I'm not speaking about critical bugs (system doesn't boot on
standard hardware or "I can login despite I forged password" or so) nor
about ports.

	It seems to me, the one reason for limited resources is - project has
no resources to accept resources. I can't tell why the project lack
volunteers processing community inputs. May be, there are no such
volunteers. May be, this type of work is not considered to be important,
so volunteers of such type are not accept to be part of comitter's team
- of course - processing PR is not 'true programming'. Yes, I understand
we need to maintain stability, we don't need to allow any dirty hack to
go to source base and so on. But tenths months required for processing
help from someone (processing it's PR) claim there IS something wrong.

	In the fact, project miss the resource of large group of people trying
to donate it's time and experience to project. At the same time - we are
short on resources ...

	As I don't know what's wrong nor how to correct it, this message is not
complaint in any way. It's just a note related to Doug's notice ...

						Dan

--
Dan Lukes                                   SISAL MFF UK
AKA: dan@obluda.cz, dan@freebsd.cz,dan@kolej.mff.cuni.cz