Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:37:54 -0500
From:      "Aaron P. Martinez" <ml@proficuous.com>
To:        ian@codepad.net
Cc:        Freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making an ADSL Router

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 08:31, Olivier Gautherot wrote:
> Hi Xian!
>
> > I have a friend who's ADSL router has recently broken beyond repair. He
> > also  has a Free BSD machine that is on all the time so I thought that
> > could become  a router.
> > I know I will need some kind of ADSL modem but I'm not really sure what
> > I'm  looking for. So any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
> > I'm currently reading http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/
> > handbook/ppp-and-slip.html
>
> If you want to go the easy way, take an Ethernet modem - connection to
> Internet is a child's play. USB modems can be more of a chance, depending
> on whether the appropriate driver is available.

This may seem like the easy way but i would take another route.  I have
been using sangoma's  internal adsl card for about 2 years now and it is
flawless.  You get tons more debugging information that you will get
with any dsl modem on the market (stuff you can go to the isp and
say...why is your router sending me these bogus packets).

The other bonus of this is you have your Public ip right on your
router/firewall...this way you don't have to mess with setitng up
portforwarding/natting etc on whatever crappy OS they have in their POS
dsl modem...you can use all of OBSD's funtionality for that.

> Things you may want to look at are "gateway", "ipfw" and "jail" if some
> services need to be protected (http server, mail, etc.)
>
> If you want state-of-the-art security, 2 network cards would be ideal
> but for a home network, you can easily get away with 1.
>
> Cheers
>   Olivier

Aaron