Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 17:13:30 -0400
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: #freebsd-newbies

Sue Blake wrote:

> I've been giving this IRC business some thought, and as usual I've come
> up with lots more questions. If we can answer these, either we'll all be
> closer to making some decisions, or everyone else will become as confused
> as me :-)
>
> 1. When the reason is clear the best path will be easier to choose, so
>    what is the *main* reason for having #freebsd-newbies? There are
>    already some #freebsd channels around, but we want our own. If there
>    was only one reason, what would it be, and why would newbies go there?
> - There's nowhere else to go?
> - Everyone else has a #*-newbies?
> - It feels good?
> - It looks good for FreeBSD?
> - It looks good for newbies?
> - It's fun to have your own channel?
> - We're not wanted on other channels?
> - Other channels don't give us what we want?
> - We don't like the people on other channels?
> - We want to help others?
> - We want to get help?
> - We want to meet each other?
> - Some other reason?
>
> 2. It will attract people interested in FreeBSD as well as giving current
>    newbies a place to go, but are we concerned with both here?
>    Do we slant more one way than the other? Can we do both at once?
>
> 3. Who is going to be there? Why? What will make people want to come?
>    What will make them stay? What will make them leave?
>
> 4. What other things will lead to the channel's success or failure?
>    How will we judge whether or not it is successful?
>
> 5. Is it better to have FreeBSD-related channels on as many nets as
>    possible, or to stick with one to get good numbers?
>
> 6. How many of us have tried the existing FreeBSD-related channels?
>    What are their strengths and weaknesses?
>
> I've spent most of today on the #freebsd channel at dalnet, in between
> the odd bit of work. As a confirmed IRC hater, I must say it was a
> surprisingly pleasant place to be. I didn't see an awful lot going on,
> but people drifted in and out and chatted about FreeBSD and music and
> computers and cats and FreeBSD and jokes and people and... all sorts of
> things. There were a few questions, not very many. Nobody seemed to know
> the answers but nobody seemed to expect their questions to be answered
> either. If there was ever a problem it was not enough people to keep it
> interesting. There might not be enough FreeBSD users to go around. Once I
> accidentally ended up on some other server (no idea what network, lots of
> channels) and found #freebsd with one person in it, apparently not around
> at the time. I visited twice more at different times and found one or two
> silent people each time. It would be a shame if #freebsd-newbies ended up
> like that.
>
> This is a very unfair report, since it is my only visit and I wasn't paying
> too much attention most of the day. This might be enough to start up some
> analysis of our requirements though. I don't know much at all about IRC.
> [...]

 The main Idea is than newbies cannot really ask a question on any of the
#FreeBSD I have visited.

On Efnet #FreeBSD, a guy say to me than I was (not the exactly term he use...)
stupid because of a *stupid* question on FTP.

So anyway, I think we should have a channel for newbies.
The problem with multiple #freebsd-newbies is than we are not a lot or people
right now.

So irc.freebsd.org should be fine.

/server irc.freebsd.org 6667

I think its a good Idea to start there.