Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:41:52 PDT
From:      "Ron Smith" <ronnetron@hotmail.com>
To:        tymbrwlf@bellsouth.net
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: High-End Graphics

Yep! In fact nearly *all* of the production class 3D animation and special
FX programs got their start on UNIX platforms (SGI and SUN usually) because
the OS was/is more stable and friendly to multiple processing and handling
*large* memory and disk space footprints.

I think the trend to port these pakages from SGI, et. al., to LINUX... let's
say will increase because of the lowered cost in these OpenOS boxes, and the
fact that these packages make use of many of these boxes tied together to do
distributed tasks such as scene rendering. As I see it, the faster these
packages port over to LINUX, the faster we'll see the FreeBSD versions :).

R.S.