Date:      Fri, 03 Sep 1999 16:26:52 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
Cc:        "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UCB removes advertising clause

Oscar Bonilla wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 12:23:38PM -0700, Brian W. Buchanan wrote:
> > This is apparently old news, but I don't recall seeing anything about it
> > on the lists, and didn't hear about it until it hit Slashdot a short while
> > ago.
> >
> > ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change:
> >
> > July 22, 1999
> >

> Yeah, McKusick talked about this last usenix, he said he was trying to
> convince UCB of how useless this clause was... seems he made it :)
>
> does that mean we can get rid of the copyright of the University at
> boot time?  do we want to?

No, it would mean Whistle could advertise the InterJet as being based
on "BSD" without saying the product contains software created by the
University of California and its contributors.  Source and binary
distributions would still have to maintain the copyright:

 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

Whistle would not even be able to mention that said BSD code came from UCB
without prior permission:

 * 4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
 *    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
 *    without specific prior written permission.

There has been quite a discussion on this issue in both -core and -committers,
where it actually has some impact.

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com