Date:      Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:24:21 -0700
From:      Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Subject:   Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports

On Friday 21 October 2005 15:09,  the author Mark Linimon contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports:

>On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 02:54:41PM -0700, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
>> My .02 cents worth - - - Would the ports system handle adding another
>> level to its directory structure?
>
>This is the biggest FAQ about the ports collection and the answer is
>always going to be the same: NO.  We have nearly ten thousand lines of
>automated tools which have the two-level assumption hardwired into them.
>Fixing this would require many, many, hundreds of hours to do the necessary
>rewriting and regression testing.
>
>Reading back through the mailing lists would have shown you this.

Maybe the hard lesson from this is that before coding any future project for
freebsd the proposed structure and a block diagram could be:

1. passed to a systems engineer to advise on the structure. That should avoid
"hard-wired" design limitations in future projects.

2. Placed on the freebsd.org website for comunity input.

Given that this is such an obvious design flaw why is their such reluctance to
mitigate its effects by introducing additional categories!

david

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.