Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:53:34 -0400
From:      Kevin Reiter <madtux@gmail.com>
To:        "Marcel.lautenbach" <freebsd@xtsy.de>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changing the shell and editor

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:58:44 +0200, Marcel.lautenbach <freebsd@xtsy.de> wrote:

> now i use the bash shell. but, i am not able to change my enviroment
> variables anymore. trying "set EDITOR emacs" did not work. when ich
> echo my editor variable, it is empty. though i have changed my shell
> back to csh in the /etc/master.password file, when i log on i still
> use the bash.

If you want to use bash (as I do) and set all your environmental
variables, here's the .bashrc I use:

# .bashrc
# Excerpts from "The Complete FreeBSD"

umask 022
export EDITOR=/usr/bin/ee
export MANPATH=/usr/share/man:/usr/local/man
export PAGER=less
export SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash
export PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/X1
1R6/bin

# Get my favorite prompt:
PS1="\u@\h [\w]\\$ "
PS2="\u@\h \! "

# Make sure I have a $DISPLAY:
if [ "$DISPLAY" = "" ]; then
  export DISPLAY=:0
fi

# Custom aliases go here:
alias ls='ls -CFG'

# -- End .bashrc --

For the bash shell, you'll need .bashrc and .bash_profile in your $HOME

If you want colorized dir listings, like in Linux, you'll also need
.dir_colors in addition to the other 2.  I've uploaded samples (the
ones I use) to http://penguinnetwerx.net/bsdfiles/bash_files.tar

You'll need to make them executable in order for them to work upon
your next login.  You don't need to edit any other files in order to
set environmental variables on your box except for those files.  You
might also want to rename all the other shell files (.profile, etc.)
in your homedir, unless you plan on switching back and forth between
shells.

HTH

~/kevin