Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:16:31 +0200
From:      Juha-Matti Liukkonen <jml@cubical.fi>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: functional differences between variants

Hi,

talking of squeezing bits, bzip2 can stuff the kernel and filesystem
images into quite a bit smaller space than gzip, giving maybe an extra
200 KB on the floppy. I don't think it would be too difficult to make
/boot/loader to support kernel.bz2 as well; libbz2.a comes with the
bzip2 port and is quite simple to use.

	- Juha

"Chad R. Larson" wrote:

> As I recall, Doug Young wrote:
> > Also, is there a reason why picoBSD development still appears to be
> > concentrated on older versions of FreeBSD instead of something in the
> > 4.x line ??
>
> The kernel in the 4.x line is considerably larger than 2.2.x or
> 3.5.x, and has some features (like improved SMP support) that is of
> little use for Pico systems.  When you're trying to smoosh stuff
> down to fit on a floppy, every little bit (byte?) counts.
>
>         -crl
> --
> Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
> chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com
> DCF, Inc. - 14623 North 49th Place, Scottsdale, Arizona 85254-2207

Juha-Matti Liukkonen, Cubical Solutions Ltd
Phone: +358(0)405280142
Email: jml@cubical.fi