Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 12:42:39 -0500
From:      Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: innd 1.7.2 issues...

On Mon, Sep 14, 1998 at 11:27:30AM -0400, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 08:10:48 -0500, Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com> said:
>
> > I noticed that I have been getting several refused connections to my nnrpd
> > port -- naturally I disallow all connections outside my local site, so the
> > logs show the connection as "no permission".
>
> There are many spammers out there who scan the Path: headers in
> received news looking for poorly-configured news servers which might
> allow open posting so they can inject their tripe.

Ok, this would make sense as I recognized one of the connections being from
a known spam domain (club-internet.fr) whom I've dealt with regarding their
spamming in the past.  I just found it interesting that this has only just
started to occur.

--
drwho @ xnet.com  --   http://www.xnet.com/~drwho/
"Freedom of government is good, but freedom FROM government is better."