Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:49:50 -0600
From:      Dave Vollenweider <metaridley@mchsi.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filemanager Recommendations

I highly recommend X Northern Captain (http://xnc.dubna.su/), especially
if you like using the Midnight Commander at the console.  It can be
controlled using both the keyboard and the mouse, supports
drag-and-drop, allows you to bookmark a directory for easy access later,
and is highly configurable.  It also comes with its own image and text
file viewer, yet is pretty fast.

The only problem is that on FreeBSD they haven't updated the port to
version 5.0.4, which contains an important feature: the ability to
create links.  You can still do that using the shell in XNC, but it's
still nice to be able to do it within the file manager itself.

If you can deal with that, though, then I think you'll like XNC.

- Dave V.