Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2008 01:00:04 GMT
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/119995: [patch] New rc.d script ddb to load ddb scripts from /etc/ddb.conf

The following reply was made to PR conf/119995; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Cc: Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org,
        bug-followup@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: conf/119995: [patch] New rc.d script ddb to load ddb scripts
	from /etc/ddb.conf
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 18:54:08 -0600

 --c3bfwLpm8qysLVxt

 On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 03:48:30PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
 > Robert Watson wrote:
 > >=20
 > > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008, Brooks Davis wrote:
 > >=20
 > >> IMO we want this in the base and ideally this script or the crash dump
 > >> script would grow the option to mail text dumps somewhere
 > >> automatically (off by default of course).  This should be as tightly
 > >> integrated as we can reasonably make it.
 > >=20
 > > I think I'd like to see something along these lines in the base, as
 > > offering tools to help autonatically configure DDB scripting isn't all
 > > that different from offering tools to configure firewalls, run user
 > > scripts, etc.
 >=20
 > I see a fairly significant difference, namely that the other things
 > you mentioned are things that we expect all of our users to be able to
 > and/or want to do. No one wants to debug crash dumps. :)

 I think you've misunderstood what we're suggesting.  What all our users
 want is to never run into any bugs and failing that to have a fix
 magically appear the moment they do hit one. :)  I think this another
 step toward more reliably providing developers the information they need
 to discover and fix bugs that users hit.  I'd venture to say that 80-90%
 of panic reports we receive are useless because we don't have what we
 need to do anything with them and this is a step toward resolving that.
 I'd really like to see 8.0 ship with textdumps on by default.

 -- Brooks

 --c3bfwLpm8qysLVxt

 --c3bfwLpm8qysLVxt--