Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 06:39:44 +0200
From:      Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort@brutele.be>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kernel panics in boot phase

Hi,

Recently, my workstation started to panic very often on boot, and only
on boot. I didn't note down the messages, but the kernel always whines
about vm pages not being present, or hash lookups not successfull.

It always happens at some point shortly after having mounted the
various filesystems.

I am used to make world often, my system is the following:

$ uname -a
FreeBSD jsite.lefort.net 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #1: Wed Apr 17 08:38:42 CEST 2002     jylefort@jsite.lefort.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/JSITE  i386

I do not retain my CPU or RAM as being the problem, since I never had
any panic on this hardware before, and it runs FreeBSD since 4.4-RELEASE.
Moreover, if it boots successfully, then it works fine; make buildworld
and make buildkernel are always successfull.

The problems started in April; my gateway, running

$ uname -a
FreeBSD gateway.lefort.net 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #0: Sat Mar 16 00:56:12 CET 2002     jylefort@gateway.lefort.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GATEWAY  i386

never paniqued; however, I rebooted it only once since the 16 March, date
of its last make world.

My FreeBSD system is now, in boot phase, as stable as the crappiest
windoze box. Any enlightenment will be appreciated (eg. am I the only one
to endure this, or -STABLE became a lil' bit bogus since a few weeks?)

Best regards,
Jean-Yves Lefort

--
* Jean-Yves Lefort -- jylefort@brutele.be -- http://lefort.homeunix.org/ *