Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 16:01:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
To:        djohnson@acuson.com (David Johnson)
Cc:        jasonla_@hotmail.com (Jason La), freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for Documentation

David Johnson babbled:
> Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:24:51 +0000

> Jason La wrote:
>
> > As a newbie, it took a while for me to understand what a "server" was. I
> > started out thinking that it was a physical machine. I didn't find any place
> > that explained to me what a software server was.. like the X Server...
> > SUGGESTION: Please take the time to explain some basic background or
> > understanding so you doin't loose us.
>
> Really basic information like is very useful, but I don't think it
> belongs in the FBSD documentation. The FreeBSD docs should be about
> FreeBSD and included software. "Server" is a very basic term, and I
> don't think the docs need to cover it. A glossary with basic terms like
> this defined will more than double the size of the handbook.
>
> FreeBSD should have complete documentation for newbies to the system,
> but at the same time I think it should demand some level of computer
> literacy.

When I came to FreeBSD I'd been using computers for 30 years (starting
with classes on an IBM 1620), but that didn't help me know where to find
.xinitrc.  I also had no idea what an X server was or that the X client/
server relationship would look backwards to a non-softhead.  I think the
FreeBSD documentation could stand to cover some of these things, or in
this case point to some XFree86 documentation that does (if such exists).

--
Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD             http://www.dunham.org
jdunham@fc.net               jerry@dunham.org            (512)335-0674 (H)

                             E Pluribus Unix