Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 01:24:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>
To:        Nicole Harrington <nicole@nmhtech.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K.Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
Subject:   Re: desktop, was linus on BSD

[snipped]
:
: Personally IMNSHO,
: If FreeBSD wants to go after the desktop market I would like to see it split
:into to two different releases. Desktop and server. Why?
:  Everytime I tell people about FreeBSD they say "yea but Linux has more
:drivers for (this cool thing that no one else ever used or came out yesterday)
:and FreeBSD doesn't.
: Thus, FreeBSD could use the same "here is a driver I wrote while wacked on
:jolt one night for that 1970 Hardrive you can't live without" that Linux has
:without detracting from the "We test everything before we commit or release any
:code into the release branch.
: Also, the GUI features could be enhanced without placing too much code bloat
:into the server code. Plus each could be genericly tuned/optimised to satisfy
:each requirment easier/better.
:
: I know fractioning things is often bad, but I truly belive this could help
:more than it would hurt.
:
:  Nicole

Consider this, instead of a split.

We offer a "base system", something similiar to the current
distribution.  We then offer several different "mega ports".

Example:

Desktop:  X, window manager, several of the more popular X
applications.

File Server:  Samba, Netware code (if it ever get's finished/stable),
and plenty of sample configs + documentation on how to configure/tune
each.

Web Server:  Apache, PostgreSQL, PHP3.  Again plenty of
sample configs + documentation.

Just my $0.02.
*plink*
*plink*