Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 23:44:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Greg Skouby <gskouby@ns0.sitesnow.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS client setup again

Hello, I managed to get an NIS master server working.  However, I managed
to get one of the clients set up but I am struggling with the only other
client that I need to set up.

I have this in /etc/rc.conf:
nisdomainname="example.net"
nis_client_enable="YES"
nis_client_flags="-S example.net,web.example.net"

Within a couple of minutes after booting this client machine I see the
ypbind in the ps -aux but then it disappears shortly after that and it
appears that it never does its job because there is nothing in /var/yp
except Makefile.dist. I edited host.conf to contain this:
bind
nis
hosts

I edited the master.passwd with vipw to contain the "magic cookie" at the
end.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please. Any command that I issue
such as ypcat master.passwd gives me:

%ypcat master.passwd
ypcat: no such map master.passwd.byname. reason: Can't bind to server
which serves this domain

If i issue the ypbind -S example.net, web.example.net from the command
line it goes through but soon it disappears from the ps -aux output and
the binding is not made.  Any suggestions to keep me from pulling my hair
out? I searched the archives but found nothing really pertaining to my
exact problem in there. Thank you very much.