Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:38:14 -0500
From:      David Dagon <dagon@cc.gatech.edu>
To:        Rik Scarborough <RikSca@kc.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Java <java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Tomcat4 port

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 12:07:20PM -0600, Rik Scarborough wrote:

> I know the plist is not update.  I will try to get that updated in a
> couple of days, but I'm swamped right now.  If someone beats me to it,
> great.
>
> Feedback would be appreciated as this is my first attempt.

Wonderful; it's very nice to have.

I noticed it fetches from the v4.0.3/bin/ release, and not the source.
While I suppose there's little difference in the ultimate byte code,
and getting v4.0.x/bin saves time, it would be nice to have the src as
well.  (Building from source is of course more difficult; there are
more dependencies; perhaps this is a later update to the port.)

A few picky comments; feel free to ignore completely:

  -- Am I mistaken that in pkg-descr, it should say that Tomcat 4 is
the reference implementation of the 2.3 (not just 2.2) specification?

  -- I know tomcat does not ship with a manager entry for
tomcat-users.xml, but would it make sense to just comment out all the
superfluous users?  I think it's safe as is, but I've always liked
that bsd does just a little more.

  -- Likewise, should the TOMCAT/conf/server.xml be swapped with the
noexamples version?  Users can do this by hand of course, and should
always take charge of their installations.  But I've always liked that
BSD takes a conservative approach to default installs.

  -- Should the default install set the <Logger> directory be to
"logs" in TOMCAT/logs, or perhaps something in /var/log/tomcat?
Again, users can change but what's the preference?  (I suggest
/var/log/tomcat since it might be on a different spindle, or faster,
better managed/archived, since other apps write to this central
place.)

What a wonderful port; thanks for doing this!  My comments were merely
meant to get ideas.  Ignore them if I've overlooked something.

--
David Dagon
dagon@cc.gatech.edu