Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 13:01:35 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Essenz Consulting <john@essenz.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Supermicro PIIIDM3 Problems...

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 11:33:52 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

> Can you be more specific about "panicing"?  As far as details go, you're
> not helping yourself.
>
> > I was doing a FreeBSD 4.0 Install on a fairly new Supermicro PIIIDM3
> > motherboard. I eventually got FreeBSD 4.0 installed, however, during the
> > install, it kept hanging up and panicing. After trying to do a bin only
> > install, it took about 7 trys until it didnt hang up and panic. When I did
> > get it installed, everything worked, and it booted. But if I go into
> > sysinstall and try to do a post install addition of, lets say src/sys,
> > same thing happens. It freezes up and hangs part way throw, and eventually
> > will throw up a panic error.
> >
> > Any ideas about the stability of the aix78xx driver for this motherboard
> > and it's aic-7892 chip?
>
> I use one of these boards on a daily basis; it's been very stable under
> both -stable and -current, although I don't use the SCSI interface very
> often anymore.

Well, one question is whether or not you have ECC memory in the machine,
and if so, if you have parity checking or ECC turned on.

Mike's board doesn't have ECC memory, and I've been trying to find someone
with a SuperMicro 840 board with ECC turned on.  (To see whether their
boards have the problem with the MRH-S chip.)

As far as the 7892 chip, the driver should be pretty stable, I don't think
other folks have had trouble with it.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry