Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 08:48:38 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bktr / fxtv problem -fixed!-

Nils Holland:
 |I'm only posting this message to tell you that I have fixed my fxtv / bktr
 |problem (see eMail messages from last week).

Congrats!

 |Now, what did I do? Well, I basically edited the fxtv X resource file so
 |that fxtv starts up with the proper settings for me (i.e., it starts up in
 |PAL/BDGHI mode, tunes right into channel 45 for my sat receiver, sets audio
 |to "internal", and so on).
 |
 |The strange thing is that everything works fine this way. However, when I
 |started fxtv with the default X resource file, and it initialized itself to
 |NTSC, channel 3, etc, fxtv would not work properly for me even if I
 |manually adjusted all the settings to "sane" values by using fxtv's menues.
 |
 |All in all, this is strange. May be either an error on my side, or some
 |problem with fxtv / bktr. Or a problem with my particular card and fxtv /
 |bktr. Or even a combination of all that. Anyway, as it works now, I'm
 |happy, and I want to thank anyone who replied to me and made useful
 |suggestions!

What would be interesting to see is if, when you start fxtv with your
PAL/BDGHI X resource setting, if you then switched to NTSC/M manually via
the format menu, and then switched back to PAL/BDGHI, are you in the same
bad state as you were originally?  And when you quit and restart fxtv, does
that "clear up" this bad state.

If so, it's very likely there's some wrong state being left around
somewhere in fxtv, the bktr driver, or in the tuner.  I just checked fxtv
and I don't think it's there.  It does basically the same thing on startup
with the X resource setting for input format as it does for setting the
input format from the menu.

But anyway, let us know.

Randall

--