Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 13:46:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!root.com!dg, ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers, ponds!lakes.dignus.com!rivers
Subject:   Re: More info on slow "rm" times with 2.2.1+.

> > Perhaps it's worthwhile to indicate exactly what I've found,
> >you may be absolutely correct - there could be a flaw in my logic:
> >
> >Deleting a file out of ~20,000 with 2.2.1, async mount, multiuser:  3-5 seconds
> >Deleting a file out of ~10,000 with 2.2.1, sync mount, multiuser: 3-5 seconds
> >Deleting a file out of ~10,000 with 2.2.1, sync mount, single user: 3-5 seconds
> >Deleting a file out of ~300 with 2.2.1, sync mount, multiuser: 3-5 seconds
> >Deleting all of ~300 with 2.1.7, sync mount, single user: 4 seconds
> >

> >> Of course, my premises may be incorrect in this too.  :0
> >
> > It would be trivial for me to verify any slow or fast times - all
> >I've got to do is make a big directory... seems that ~300 files is
> >enough to run into whatever the problem may be...
>
>    How many files are in the directory isn't important. What is important is
> the size of the directory. You can have a 20MB directory and yet have only a
> 100 files in it. There is code to free up unused space in directories, but
> it only works if the free space is at the end. If the directory is large,
> then it will take a large amount of time to search through it.
>
> -DG

 Of course... that makes sense.

 It's possible that the directory shrunk when I did the last delete
under 2.2.1 (before rebooting under 2.1.7) I hit that magic entry
that caused this coalescing to occur - but I'd kinda think that
would be unlikely...

 Do you think that could explain why 2.1.7 is so much faster than 2.2.1?
I'll try and get a reliable reproduction of this one.

	- Dave R. -