Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 18:00:00 +0100
From:      Tim Priebe <tim@polytechnic.edu.na>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        andreas.klemm.ak@bayer-ag.de, "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: squid caching proxy behind a firewall ...

Andreas Klemm wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 06:59:22PM +0100, Tim Priebe wrote:
> > I do not have the configs in front of me, but basically you can
> > configure it with the option noquery for the parent, ie the "real proxy
> > server", and then deny all direct accesses. The standard config file
> > explains each.
>
> I used yesterday (before giving up temporarily and writing to the list ;-):
>
> cache_peer FQDNofCompanyProxy parent 80 7 no-query

For the systems I am doing this sort of thing on I have:

cache_peer hostname parent 3128 3130 no-query default

> "7" for disabling  ICP:
> #    icp_port:  Used for querying neighbor caches about
> #                    objects.  To have a non-ICP neighbor
> #                    specify '7' for the ICP port and make sure the
> #                    neighbor machine has the UDP echo port
> #                    enabled in its /etc/inetd.conf file.
>
> no query for:
> #       use 'no-query' to NOT send ICP queries to this
> #       neighbor.
>
> Well then I configured netscape to use my local squid cache
> on port 3128 and I get problems in name resolving ....

can you resolve the name of the parent?

> Squid usually tries to resolve names into addresses and _then_
> it asks its parent and neighbor caches.
>
> Since I'm in the intranet and doesn't have access to the outside
> DNS server I have a problem here ...
>
> You are a bit unspecific (sorry) concerning "then deny all direct accesses".
> Direct accesses to what ??? Is is the part, where you think of solving this
> DNS request ??? I never tweaked this parameter and would be glad if you
> could name it explicitely so to give me a more specific hint !

I did not remember the exact name, the setting I use is:

never_direct allow all

where all is a standard acl. This causes the proxy to always use its
parent. It should not try to resolve names that it is not going to get
data from directly. If I am mistaken, please let me know.

Tim.