Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:12:18 -0700
From:      Kelsey Cummings <kgc@sonic.net>
To:        chem@i-p-d.nl
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: limiting telnet-users

I did this for an other ISP a while back.  Myself and the other sysadmin
hacked login to chroot the user if the UID was less than 1000 and
constructed scripts which built the needed trees with hardlinks and made
the /tmp, and other directories that need specific permissions under
/home/user.  I'm not sure I'd go through the trouble of doing this
again.  It was a cool project, and worth doing once, but you might be
better off just making a very secure 'open' multiuser system, with very
careful file permissions, kernel security set high, with immutable flags
on all of the system files and binaries that should never change.  I
think there are some good FAQs on nailing down fBSD like this out there.

"chem@i-p-d.nl" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been investigating a way to limit telnet-users to their own home-dir.
> Problem with chroot is that a lot of dirs would have to be copied to the home-
> dir, in order for them to work with telnet. We only give telnet-access to users
> that specifically ask for it, because ftp is to limited. I remember a post from
> about a year ago, of someone who managed it by setting the permissions of the
> home-dirs and the dir above at a specific way, i believe in combination with a
> specific umask. Can't find that posting in the archives, though.
>
> I would love to hear some solutions to this problem and/or some pointers.
>
> TIA
> chem

Kelsey Cummings - kgc@sonic.net         sonic.net
System Administrator                    300 B Street, Ste 101
707.522.1000 (Voice)                    Santa Rosa, CA 95404
707.547.2199 (Fax)                      http://www.sonic.net/
Fingerprint = 7F 59 43 1B 44 8A 0D 57  91 08 73 73 7A 48 90 C5