Date:      Mon, 7 May 2007 12:26:38 -0400
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        Gore Jarold <gore_jarold@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: vmware3 on FreeBSD 6.2 - minor (?) svga problem ... more #2

On Monday 07 May 2007 12:18:06 pm Gore Jarold wrote:
> Ok, it seems from further reading that a significant
> piece of information that I previously neglected to
> note is that I am running xinerama.
>
> I suppose that my 5760x1200 resolution makes it clear
> that I am triple-headed, but I do need to explicitly
> make clear that I am using xinerama.
>
> However, I do not have _anything_ vmware related in my
> xorg.conf.  I had no idea anything was needed, but
> this post:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2005-February/001622.html
>
> shows someone configuring a vmware device and a vmware
> screen (as well as using Xinerama).
>
> Do you have any such settings in your xorg.conf ?  Do
> any lightbulbs go off when I mention I am using
> xinerama ?  Have you ever seen vmware screens and
> devices in an X conf ?

That does ring a bell from back when I used VMware3. I remember that it needed
its own virtual terminal for full-screen VM's (and also that it was unwise to
go full-screen unless your VM was running a supported graphics mode, since
e.g. BIOS or DOS screens would cause it to crash). I didn't ever have to make
any X config changes, but I assume that my main file was generic enough that
it didn't cause any issues. This was probably circa 2001, running FreeBSD 4.x
and XFree86 with xdm.

I'd suggest trying again using a single screen running at a standard low 4:3
resolution with some others available. If you get that working then work on
adding your other screens back in or doing something like the poster in the
link you referenced.

JN